40mls of dark/spiced rum of your choice
Boiling water (to fill the glass)
Spiced Butter Mix:
200g brown sugar
300g butter at room temperature
Peel of two oranges
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1 whole nutmeg
Pinch cracked black pepper
Three teaspoons molasses
Spiced butter method:
1) Make an oleo saccharum or special syrup by peeling the oranges using a peeler, mixing the zests with the brown sugar and leaving covered overnight, then remove the zests. You will be left with a soft orange oil and sugar syrup or oleo saccharum.
2) Finely grate 1/8 of the nutmeg.
3) Add oleo saccharum, cinnamon, cracked pepper, molasses and grated nutmeg to room-temperature butter.
4) Whip until the mix becomes light and fluffy. Taste and add more spices if you desire.
Assembling the ‘Fitzroy Hipster’:
1) Add 1 tablespoon of spiced butter into latte glass and break it up so it melts easily
2) Add 40ml of dark or spiced rum. Waterslide Bar recommends Goslings Black Seal.
3) Add boiling water while stirring to melt the butter.
4) Grate more nutmeg over the top and serve with a chocolate biscuit.